In this post, I will show how to create a simple virus that disables the USB ports on the computer (PC). As usual, I am using my favorite C programming language to create this virus. Anyone with a basic knowledge of C language should be able to understand the working of this virus program.
Once this virus is executed it will immediately disable all the USB ports on the computer. As a result you’ll will not be able to use your pen drive or any other USB peripheral devices on the computer. The source code for this virus is available for download. You can test this virus on your own computer without any worries since I have also given a program to re-enable all the USB ports.
- Download the source code of the virus program on to your computer from the following link:
The download contains the following 2 files:
- c (source code)
- c (source code)
- You need to compile them before you can run it. A step-by-step procedure to compile C programs is given in my post – How to Compile C Programs.
- Upon compilation of block_usb.c you get block_usb.exewhich is a simple virus that will block (disable) all the USB ports on the computer upon execution (double click).
- To test this virus, just run the exe file and insert a USB pen drive (thumb drive). Now you can see that your pen drive will never get detected. To re-enable the USB ports just run theunblock_usb.exe (you need to compile unblock_usb.c) file. Now insert the pen drive and it should get detected.
- You can also change the icon of this file to make it look like a legitimate program. For more details on this refer my post – How to Change the ICON of an EXE file(This step is also optional).
How it Works?
The idea behind the working of this virus is pretty straightforward. It works by gaining access to the Windows registry and modifying its settings to disable the USB device support on the computer.
On the other hand, the other program will re-set the registry settings back to the normal so that the support for USB devices is re-enabled. I hope you like this post. Please pass your comments.